Gap Closure in Cedar Park, TX
A gap between the teeth, aka diastema, is a widespread condition and occurs in one person out of five. Some consider it to be one of their individuality displays, but it becomes the cause of self-doubt for others. In some severe cases, it is highly advisable to get rid of diastema. 2-10 mm gap can form on both upper or lower teeth, and it could lead to the development of complications such as:
Causes and types of interdental gaps.
- Diction problems.
- Decreased aesthetics.
- There is a high risk of caries and periodontitis in this area.
- Unhealthy bite.
- Psychological discomfort.
This feature can appear for many reasons. Most often, the following conditions lead to this:
Ways to eliminate the gap.
- Genetic factor.
- Strongly pronounced interdental papillae.
- Incorrect placement of the frenum of the lips.
- The late appearance of molars.
- Delayed development of the dentition, slow process of the formation of the anterior incisors.
- Injury to the anterior chewing teeth (injuries that form in childhood are hazardous; they can significantly affect the teeth' shape in adulthood).
- Gum disease.
- The presence of supernumerary cutters.
- Microdentia (pathologically small teeth).
Getting rid of diastema is a challenging and very detailed job. But thanks to the achievements of modern dentistry, it is possible to eliminate the gap forever. The correction can take up to a couple of years. It all depends on the chosen method of treatment, the age of the patient, and contraindications. Dr.Regina Yunusov at Cedar Park Dental Wellness can help you to select a treatment plan that will be optimal in your case.
Both braces and clear aligners are the most popular ways to correct diastema. Application of necessary pressure to the teeth helps them to take the proper position. Treatment can take up to 3 years, but this is a proven correcting method that aligns teeth and effectively eliminates gaps.
Veneers are a cosmetic solution to closing a gap between the teeth. There are some contraindications for certain people, but they can also significantly improve your smile's aesthetics.
A more radical method of closing gaps between teeth is the placing of crowns. Their significant advantage is a long service life, but it is necessary to grind the teeth before installing crowns.
Gently and gradually applied composite material can do an excellent job hiding small gaps. It is a very artistic process, and if done correctly, it perfectly matches the existing teeth and has exceptional durability.How do you prevent gaps in your teeth?
Please remember that the preventive steps below work best for young children and are much less useful for adults.
- It is essential to see your dentist routinely. The doctor will determine if you have a genetic predisposition or other factors due
- It is vital to be consistent with your oral hygiene routine.
- Monitor your nutrition, add foods high in calcium, magnesium, fluoride, phosphorus, and vitamins D, C, A to the diet.
- Stop the bad habits (sucking fingers or any objects, crunching solid food with the front incisors, etc.).